Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Prepare for Preppy



Simon Doonan, creative director of Barney’s, and long time partner of Jonathan Adler was recently on NPR, and declared that PREPPY IS BACK! And I for one couldn’t be more pleased. You can read a transcript or listen to a recording here, or I’ll just tell you all about it…..

Basically Doonan says that the preppy look of the 80’s is back as a reaction to all of the cracked out, shitty looking bitches that have been stumbling around drunk on our TVs for the past decade or so. I won’t mention any names, but I think we all know what East Coast seashore reality series is the epitome of this.

The new preppy has sub trends. You can be a classic prep in your current season Ralph Lauren that looks like it’s from the 30’s. Or you could be a hipster preppy in vintage high waters, loafers, and short sleeves with a bow tie. Or the Bettys out there could wear their little sundresses with a string of pearls to lunch at the club. Or a pair of slacks and their Todds moccasins for a day out on the boat with tea sandwiches. And remember, navy is neutral boating fans! (DON'T call it a yacht, that's a sure fire sign of new money.)

This is such a relief to me because I’ve always made an effort not to look “too preppy” but with my blond hair and fair skin it’s hard not to. I can make an old motorcycle jacket look like appropriate golf attire if I’m not careful trash up my look. So now I can just slip on my Sperry Top Siders, cuff my khaki slacks, and throw a cable knit sweater over the shoulders of my polo shirt (that is literally Polo By Ralph Lauren) and sip a mint julep feeling totally at ease with myself.